Think you’re not at risk?
Everyone lives in a flood zone.
Be smart. Know the risks.
Everyone lives in a flood zone – it is just a question of whether you live in a low to moderate or high risk area. In fact, about 25% of all flood insurance claims are from low to moderate risk areas. If you live on a hill or in an area that has never been flooded, your risk may be significantly reduced, but it is not eliminated. Floods are caused by heavy rains, melting snow, and even inadequate or clogged drainage systems.
Fact: Just a few inches of water from a flood can cause tens of thousands of dollars in damage.
Fact: The average homeowner has almost 3 times greater chance of experiencing a flood than a house fire!
Protect your home, business and belongings with flood insurance. Flood insurance is available to homeowners, condo owners, renters, and commercial owners/renters and is the best way to protect yourself from devastating financial loss. For more information, talk to one of our agents today.
The following are a few ways you can be prepared before a flood:
- Copy your most important documents (mortgage papers, deed, passport, bank information). Keep copies in your home and store originals in a secure place outside the home such as a bank safe deposit box.
- Save and store receipts for expensive household items (appliances, electronic equipment, etc).
- Make an itemized list of other possessions.
- Protect your family by having these items on hand:
- Battery-operated radio and flashlight with fresh batteries.
- Supply of bottled water and non-perishable food.
- Blankets and clothing
- First aid kit and any necessary prescription medications.
- Consider purchasing an auxiliary generator.
- Familiarize yourself with evacuation routes, and if asked to evacuate, do so.
For additional information, visit www.floodsmart.gov